The remains stand on the sharp rock that gave its name to Pietragùdola. It belonged to the Carpegna family, then the Malatesta and the Montefeltro who had the fortress redesigned by Francesco di Giorgio Martini. It was home to Duke Federico and his consort Battista Sforza in 1462. It even passed under the ownership of San Marino before returning to the jurisdiction of San Leo.
Close by is the delightful Renaissance monastery of San Domenico and adjacent church, commissioned by Giovanni Sinibaldi.